Southwest Georgia
Home
Antiques in SWGA
Farms & Markets
Festivals in SWGA
Historic Sites in SWGA
Hunting in SWGA
State Parks in SWGA
Wineries in SWGA
Wildlife Mngt Areas

Tour Historic Sites in Southwest Georgia

Blue and Gray Museum
Ben Hill County
Located in a historical railroad depot, the entire space of the Blue & Gray Museum has been renovated and redesigned to reveal the remarkable founding story of Fitzgerald and its roots in the Civil War. More than 1200 objects, photographs, household items, memorabilia and rare artifacts are now displayed in new and refinished cases and in specially fabricated sections. Each item has been carefully coded to help the visitor understand its historical significance. Many important artifacts are on display for the first time.
116 N Johnston St, Fitzgerald, Georgia, 31750, web site

Frontier Village
Clay County
Located on a spectacular bluff high above the Chattahoochee River, this historic spot served as a frontier fort in 1816, an Indian fort in 1836 and a Confederate fort in 1863. Highlights include the historic cemetery, Civil War cannon and the giant wood carved statue of a Creek Indian Chief. Included in the Fort Gaines Self-Guided Walking Tour.
Bluff Street, Fort Gaines, Georgia, 39851,

Outpost Replica
Clay County
Reconstructed circa 1816-1830. Used to protect settlers from Creek and Seminole Indian attacks.
100 Bluff St., Fort Gaines, Georgia, 39851,

Sutton's Corner Frontier Store Museum
Clay County
Originally located on the edge of long-ago plantations, like a tiny ruin on the outpost of an old empire of legends and epics, this ancient frontier store has been recovered and moved to the site of the "Globe Tavern and Inn Stagecoach Stop" in Fort Gaines, and endorsed by museum curators as "one of a kind in America." It is a living museum with its petticoat counters, wooden cash registers, antique post office, gristmill, more than 4,000 artifacts, and 3-D documents of frontier life, all authentic and original.
115 South Washington St., Fort Gaines, Georgia, 39851,

Fort Gaines Walking Tour
Clay County
Take a self-guided tour of historic Fort Gaines and see the city's Historical District and Frontier Village, which includes a cemetery, the large wood carved statue of a Creek Indian chief and a Civil War cannon. Audio tour available at George T. Bagby State Park or Clay County Library.
208 Hancock St., Fort Gaines, Georgia, 39851,

Museum of Colquitt County History
Colquitt County
Colquitt County through the ages. The Museum houses articles depicting different aspects of early life in Colquitt County. Maintained by a core of volunteers, the museum welcomes all visitors and natives alike for a tour of special exhibits and permanent displays. Recently added was a Colquitt County Sports Hall of Fame permanent exhibit. Look out for history re-enacting itself each Spring during the Blue-Gray Heritage Weekend held the last weekend in March.
500 Fourth Ave, SE, Moultrie, Georgia, 31768, web site

Heritage Tour of Homes
Decatur County
This is a driving tour of over 50 homes, churches and sites that were originally built in the late 1800's and the early 1900's. The 1921 McKenzie-Reynolds House was moved to its present site along the Flint River and now houses the Chamber of Commerce.
100 Boat Basin Cir, Bainbridge, Georgia, 39817,

Oak City Cemetery
Decatur County
Prior to the establishment of Bainbridge, Oak City Cemetery had long been home to an Indian Village. It was established as a cemetery in 1852 when William H. Peabody was buried there. His grave is located next to the powder house, where gun powder was stored during the Civil War. In 1878, the west section of the cemetery was deeded to Temple Beth-El and became one of the first Jewish Cemeteries in South Georgia. Numerous unknown Confederate soldiers are buried.
420 Cemetery St, Bainbridge, Georgia, 39817,

Decatur County Museum
Decatur County
The museum is located across from Willis Park in downtown Bainbridge. It is typically open Saturdays from 10am-12. Private tours may also be arranged by appointment.
127 E Water Street, Bainbridge, Georgia, 39817,

J. D. Chason Memorial Park
Decatur County
The park's historical markers ia a great resource describing some of the history of the area including Decatur County During the Creek and Seminole Wars Era, The Battle of Fowltown, First Seminole War Trail, The First Seminole War in Decatur County and The Second Creek War.
200 W Jackson St, Bainbridge, Georgia, 39819,

Albany Civil Rights Movement Museum
Dougherty County
Housed in the beautifully restored 1906 Mt. Zion Church, the museum features artifacts and educational exhibits highlighting the key roles played by Albany leaders in the Civil Rights Movement. It also serves as a center for ongoing academic research and provides group tours and lectures.
326 Whitney Ave, Albany, Georgia, 31701, web site

Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge
Early County
The 96-foot long Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge was built in 1891 at the old McDonald Ford on Coheelee Creek for a total cost of $490.41. It is the southernmost covered bridge in the US.
Ga Hwy 62 & Old River Rd., Blakely, Georgia, 31723,

Grady County Museum and History Center
Grady County
Learn all about the heritage of our history-rich community in the center of downtown Cairo. There are photographs, collectibles, antiques and other memorabilia that will take you through Grady County's journey. The museum also features an art gallery and work from local artists as well as a working "G" scale train model and railroad artifacts.
1 North Broad Street, Cairo, Georgia, 39828, web site

Milltown Murals
Lanier County
More than two dozen murals in the downtown area depict scenes of Milltown in 1925, the year this community was renamed Lakeland. Stroll through downtown where the sides of the buildings are beautifully painted scenes. Maps available at the Chamber of Commerce.
Main Street, Lakeland, Georgia, 31635, web site

Lowndes County Historical Museum
Lowndes County
Inspired by a grant of $15,000 from Andrew Carnegie, the citizens of Valdosta constructed this building in 1913 at a cost of $40,000. It was formally opened as a library on June 15, 1914 and continued to operate until 1976. With 10,000 square feet of local history displays and research material, the museum grounds also include multiple outdoor exhibits and an extensive collection of historic photographs, attire and memorabilia dating back to 1825.
305 West Central Avenue, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601, web site

The Barber-Pittman House
Lowndes County
Considered on of the most outstanding examples of architectural design in the Southeast, the stylish residence was designed by architect Lloyd Greer and built in the 1915 for E.R. Barber, inventor and local Coca-Cola bottler. The home was later bequeathed to Valdosta citizens by Mrs. Ola Barber Pittman. The home was restored in 1979 and is now occupied by the Valdosta-Lowndes County Chamber of Commerce.
416 North Ashley Street, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601,

Converse-Dalton-Ferrell-House
Lowndes County
Restored to its 1902 glory, this pristine Neo-classical residence serves as the Valdosta Junior Service League's headquarters.
305 North Patterson Street, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601,

The Crescent
Lowndes County
This Neo-classical structure built in 1898 was the former home of U.S. Senator William S. West, and is Valdosta's most well-known landmark. The house is named for its semi-circular portico supported by thirteen massive Doric columns, representing each of thirteen original American colonies. The estate's grounds boast beautiful test gardens, an octagonally built schoolhouse, a quaint chapel, and a small activity room with a stage. Tours available.
904 North Patterson Street, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601,

The Dosta Playhouse
Lowndes County
The Dosta theatre was built where two stores were losts to fire (Lazarus Bros. Dept. Store and Rice's Care) and opened the spring of 1941. The Art Modern style building is reflective of the sobering depression, stripped of most ornamentation with an obsession with streaming and speed. Glass, blocks, portholes and curved corners celebrate cruise liners and the automobile age. Presently the home of Theatre Guild-Valdosta.
122 North Ashley Street, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601,

Fairview Historic District
Lowndes County
Concentrated area of River Street, Varnedoe Street, Wells Street and Central Place, Downtown. The village of Fairview predates the incorporation of the City of Valdosta. The neighborhood underwent three periods of development: 1840-1860; the late 1890s Victorian surge; and the 1910-1920s period of Prairie and Craftsman influence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in May of 1984.
300 Varnedoe St, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601,

Lowndes County Historical Museum
Lowndes County
Inspired by a grant of $15,000 from Andrew Carnegie, the citzens of Valdosta constructed this building in 1913 at a cost of $40,000. It was formally opened as a library on June 15, 1914 and continued to operate until 1976. The building is now the home of the Lowndes County Historical Society offering Valdosta's most extensive collection of historic photographs, attire and memorabilia dating back to 1825.
305 West Central Avenue, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601, web site

Remerton Mill Village
Lowndes County
The town of Remerton, named for Remer Young Lane, President of Valdosta's first bank, was established in 1899 to meet the needs of the Strickland Cotton Mills' workers. Remerton was later incorporated as a textile mill town. Initially there were three streets with sixty five houses, a school and three churches. The mill owned the houses, which rented for $.25 per room. Since the plant closed in 1979, the preserved houses of Historic Remerton Mill Village have found new life as quaint shops, restaurants and boutiques. Surrounded by the City of Valdosta, Remerton still has its own government and law enforcement.
Baytree Place and Plum Streets, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601, web site

Sunset Hill Cemetery
Lowndes County
Valdosta's original burial ground, dating to the 1860s, is fascinating repository of mausoleums and memorials amongst a landscape of native and exotic flora.
North Oak Street, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601,

First Baptist Church
Lowndes County
Architect Stephen F. Fulghum exemplified Victorian eclecticism where Queen Anne and Romanesque styles are evident. The church bell dates to 1850 and has moved with the church. The elaborate wood truss ceiling made of heart pine and exquisite stained glass windows make this one of the area's finest landmarks.
200 West Central Avenue, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601,

First United Methodist Church
Lowndes County
Built in the late Victorian era, this Romanesque Revival style building exhibits dynamic verticality in its tall slender towers with spires and buttresses. The interior is graced with rich Gothic woodwork of quarter-sawn oak and a fine stained glass rose window. The most striking feature of the building's interior is the monumental cathedral ceiling.
220 North Patterson Street, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601,

First Presbyterian Church
Lowndes County
A Romanesque interpretation of the classical Greek temple built in 1907-1909. The fine Corinthian columns were donated as a memorial gift. The sanctuary was completely renovated in 1985 and officially listed with The National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
313 North Patterson Street, Valdosta, Georgia, 31601,

South Eden Plantation
Thomas County
Originally spanning across 1,500 acres of red hill country, in 1825, as the Coalson Plantation, South Eden has gracefully taken root in the history of the South. Following the civil war, the surrounding territory transformed into several hunting resorts and private plantations, as each owner built upon and made the land their own. In the early 1900's it became known as the Melhana Plantation. Come 2009, a new vision for the remnant 38 acres of the Melhana portion was born. After nearly five years of delicate and extraordinary renovation, the land has been uncovered and opened to the public with the name of South Eden Plantation.
301 Showboat Lane, Thomasville, Georgia, 31792, web site

Jack Hadley Black History Museum
Thomas County
African-American artifacts dating back to slavery, the Buffalo Soldiers, exhibits on Lt. Henry O. Flipper, Dr. Martin L. King, Jr., Blacks in the Military from the Spanish American War to Desert Strom/Iraq War and the African-American Life on the Southern Hunting Plantation, their life, 1993 Heisman Award Winner Charles Ward, Jr., Black Women
214 Alexander Street, Thomasville, Georgia, 31792, web site

All Saints Episcopal Church
Thomas County
The oldest standing church in Thomasville, originally built as a Catholic church. Jacqueline Kennedy attended Mass here following President John F. Kennedy's assassination. Lovingly restored and enlarged in 1981-82. The organ (II Ranks) was designed and built by the A.E. Schlueter Company in 1999.
443 Hansell St, Thomasville, Georgia, 31792,

Lapham-Patterson House
Thomas County
This home is a monument to the imagination, creative engineering and craftsmanship of the Victorian Era. Built in 1885 as a winter cottage for prosperous shoe merchant Charles Lapham of Chicago, the house includes fish-scale shingles, oriental style porch, and a remarkable double-flue chimney with a walk through staircase and cantilevered balcony.
626 N. Dawson St, Thomasville, Georgia, 31792, web site

Pebble Hill Plantation
Thomas County
Pebble Hill Plantation has been called a Georgia Belle. This stately architectural beauty stands proudly amid the magnolias and long leaf pines of southwest Georgia, and like an alluring belle, it has magnetic appeal and breathtaking beauty. Pebble Hill is a home rich in both art and history. The overall impression one receives from this remarkable plantation is more felt than defined.
1251 US Hwy 319 South, Thomasville, Georgia, 31792, web site

The Hardy Bryan House
Thomas County
Considered the oldest two-story house in Thomasville, this home was built in two stages, in 1833 and 1837. In 1980, it was fully restored and furnished and is now used as the Thomasville Landmarks, Inc. headquarters and house museum. Tours by appointment only.
312 North Broad St, Thomasville, Georgia, 31792,

Thomas County Museum of History
Thomas County
Since 1972, the Museum?s collections have grown to include more than 100,000 photographs and innumerable objects and documents related to Thomas County?s past. Exhibits include memorabilia from the grand resort hotels; ladies' costumes from the 1820s to the 1940s; military relics from the Civil War through World War II; antique vehicles.
725 North Dawson Street, Thomasville, Georgia, 31792, web site

Power Of The Past Museum
Thomas County
The personal collection of the James Dekle Family. It is our desire to preserve these engines for the education and enjoyment of young and old for generations to come. Located at the Thomasville Regional Airport 7 miles northeast of town on Ga. 122.
882 Airport Road, Thomasville, Georgia, 31757, web site

Georgia Museum of Agriculture & Historic Village
Tift County
Formerly known as Agrirama, the grounds consist of five areas: a traditional farm community of the 1870s, an 1890s progressive farmstead, an industrial sites complex, rural town, national peanut complex, and the Museum of Agriculture Center. Over 35 structures have been relocated to the 95-acre site and faithfully restored or preserved. Costumed interpreters explain and demonstrate the life-style and activities of this time in Georgia?s history.
1392 Whiddon Mill Road, Tifton, Georgia, 31793, web site

Tifton Museum of Arts & Heritage
Tift County
A 1900 Romanesque brick church featuring exquisite stained glass windows, heart of pine floors, vaulted ceilings, buttresses, a bell tower, fanlight doorways and more. It hosts quarterly professional exhibitions of paintings, wood, porcelain and much more.
255 Love Ave, Tifton, Georgia, 31794, web site

Tifton Terminal Railway Museum
Tift County
Tifton Terminal Railroad operated in the Tifton area in the early decades of the 20th century. The line was abandoned sometime before 1936. In 2008, the Tifton Terminal Railway Museum opened in Tifton's former Atlantic Coast Line freight depot.
120 Tift Ave S, Tifton, Georgia, 31794,


 

SouthwestGeorgia.com